Consumer Health, Ninth Edition
References for Chapter 23
- Cohen P. Health plan roulette. In Health 4(4):78-82, 1990.
- Clinton HR. Foreword to White House Domestic Policy Council. Health Security: The President’s Report on the American People. Washington, D.C., 1993, U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Hospital adjusted expenses per inpatient day, 2009. Kaiser Health Foundation, statehealthfacts.org, accessed Sept 2011.
- Source Book of Health Insurance Data, 1999-2000. Washington, D.C., 1999, Health Insurance Association of America.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2011. Washington, D.C., U.S. Census Bureau, 2010, Table 151.
- Frequently asked questions about newborns’ and mothers’ health protection. U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration Web site, accessed Aug 2, 2005.
- The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA). CMS fact sheet, Jan, 2010.
- Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan. HealthCare.gov Web site, accessed Sept 6, 2011.
- Major provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Commonwealth Foundation Web site, accessed Aug 20, 2011.
- Employer’s guide to group health continuation coverage under COBRA: The Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 1986. Washington, D.C., 2005, US Department of Labor.
- Gabel J and others. Individual insurance: How much financial protection does it provide? Health Affairs Web Exclusive, April 17, 2005.
- Employer Health Benefits: 2010 Annual Survey. Kaiser Family Foundation (Menlo Park, Calif) and Health Research Educational Trust (Chicago), 2010. [2011 update]
- Vaden T. ‘Free health card’ is confusing. Raleigh News & Observer, Nov 23, 2008.
- HMO-PPO Digest. Bridgewater, N.J., 2010, Aventis Pharmaceuticals. [2011 update]
- Finkelstein R, Hurwit C, Kirsch R. The Managed Care Consumers’ Bill of Rights. New York, 1995, Public Policy and Education Fund of New York.
- Health savings accounts and other tax-favored health plans. IRS Publication 969, 2010. [2011 update]
- Clark PA and others. Concierge medicine: Medical, legal and ethical perspectives. The Internet Journal of Law, Healthcare and Ethics. Volume 1, 2011.
- NCQA’s health plan report card. NCQA Web site, accessed July 15, 2005.
- Best health plans: 37,481 readers show you how to make the right choice. Consumer Reports Web site, Sept 2009.
- Consumers’ Guide to Health Plans. Washington, D.C., 2002, Center for the Study of Services.
- The federal medical loss ratio (MLR) calculations—Background and initial costs of compliance. America’s Health Insurance Plans, Center for Policy Research, June 2011.
- If you buy health insurance on your own. Consumer Reports Web site, Oct 2010.
- Understanding Medicare enrollment periods. Center for Medicare Services tip sheet, Feb 2011.
- Your Medicare Benefits. Baltimore, 2011, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Kirschheimer S. When health insurance is phony. AARP Bulletin, Dec 2009, p 31.
- Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare. Baltimore, 2011, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- McLeod D. Medicare outpatient debacle: Hospitals allowed to charge more for outpatient care. AARP 37(8):4, 1996.
- Flowers L. The Medicaid program: A brief overview. AARP Public Policy Institute fact sheet, Feb 2005.
- Spillman BC, Lubitz J. New estimates of lifetime nursing home use: Have patterns of use changed? Medical Care 40:965-975, 2002.
- Genworth 2011 Cost of Care Survey. Waltham, Mass., 2011, Genworth Financial. [2012 update]
- Long Term Care Partnership Only Web site, accessed Aug 22, 2011.
- Guide to long-term care insurance. Washington, D.C., 2004, America’s Health Insurance Plans.
TThis page was posted on June 30, 2012.